walworth brewhouse


 

 

From walking down Walworth road noticed that there where very few bars and pubs on the street. In total i found 3 bars and 3 pubs. I found it very curious that such a long and populated road only accommodated such a small amount of venues, when other streets not far from Walworth such as Borough High Street, which have several. From the research I carried out I realised that there used to be 20+ pubs and bars in the area but they have all been closed over the last couple of years due to the regeneration projects in the area. Most of them have been set to be turned into flats or shops. The pub/bar on a street can mean many things for a community its a place to hang out, to meet old or new friends, its a place for conversation, a place for exchange of ideas, for song, for laughter. 

All in all its a place that brings people together, and its a shame that little by little they are disappearing. In my research I decided to look into the history of beer in London, and I came to discover that London used to produce all its beer and ale supply from breweries in the city. in the 1400’s London had nearly 300 breweries. in the 1600’s there was about 16 man breweries producing 75% of the cities beer and ale whilst the remaining 25% was made by around a hounded or so micro-breweries around the city. However just like the pubs in Walworth road. this industry has been disappearing from the city. In 2007 there was only 10 breweries in London, the lowest since the second world war.

However things are changing, more and more micro brewers are opening around the city. bringing back the old traditions of brewing and crafting beer. The CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) association are tirelessly encouraging small breweries while lobbying to avoid takeovers by large companies and closere of valued pubs. My aim for this proposal is to get Walworth road included in this project, by creating a microbrewery and bar. This proposal’s aim is to invite the commenty together to create local product from local produce that can be sold or simply enjoyed in the space. The proposal will need to utilise the maximum potential of the site not to waste unnecessary space. Whilst also be eco-friend and have a strong foundation in recycling all its waste products. In addition to being a ‘cozy’ space where people would like to spend time and enjoy themselves. It should be a forum for small business creation, encouraging the ideals of locally made products over large companies. And bring the art of brewing back to the city.

Aims.

To create a space that:

- invites the community to get together

- creates new business in the area

- utilises the maximum of the area as possible

- thats eco-friendly, focusing on recycling

Economic Sustainability:

Initially the build cost will be covered by CAMRA associated Breweries around London. In exchange for sales rights of their products and use of the brewing facilities. The daily running cost of the proposal will be funded by The London Beer Lab who is a London based company teaching locals how to brew in exchange for using the proposals as their teaching facility in central London.

The profit created by the proposal will be put into a fund that eventually should let the proposal be able to run solely by the community. In sales of local brew and the renting of brewing facilities.

Social Sustainability:

The proposal is open to be used by all sides of the community. And the rest of the city for that matter and should allow for social integration to take place.

The proposal should be a friendly environment where people should feel invited to come and share ideas. It should benefit the community as a whole in bringing new business opportunities and a new place to gather.

Hopefully the proposal will bring interest from more places in the city than just Walworth and so bring more people to the area.

Environmental Sustainability:

It is important that the proposal utilise all possibilities to be as eco-friendly as possible.

All the energy used by the building should happen in eco-friendly systems, for example heating the building could come from using the heated water from the brewing process. alternatively cooling the building by running water from the water-tanks to the brewing facilities.

Waste material from the brewing should be re-used such as the used malt made into bread and sold